Subject: do i keep NetBSD on this box?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/24/2005 16:14:41
i wish i had the cash to pick up a cheap OSX-worthy box to stick in front
of my girlfriend to replace her Windows laptop with, but sadly, i do not.

so i attempted to put OSX on this PM8600.  that's not going so well, and
yet again, i am just tempted to stick with NetBSD.

three major things are holding me back.

1) gnucash doesn't work

it segfaults somewhere in guile, and i'm inable to get any really good info
as to what's happening.  this is a 2.0 userland with a -current kernel.
it doesn't segfault when i use a 2.0 kernel.  guile itself seems to work,
but i'm guessing since gnucash uses libguile there is some sort of issue
there?  maybe i should try rebuilding libguile while running the -current
kernel?  or maybe i should bite the bullet and toss on a -current userland
as well?  i'm graping at straws here and don't really even know how to
proceed.

2) Emulate3Buttons doesn't work.

using a Kensington Turbo Mouse orbit trackball.  left button works properly
as button 1, right button opperates as button 2.  not what i need, so i use
xmodmap to remap the pointers (pointer = 1 3 2) and now i have a proper left
and right mouse button.  however, Emulate3Buttons doesn't properly function,
so i have no middle button.  not being able to paste sucks.  ;)

3) i haven't quite gotten keyboard mappings right.

the arrow keys are my main issue.  down seems to work fine, but the other
three are odd.  they work in vi, but don't work with bbkeys.  not sure
what the issue is there.

other than that, i'm extremely happy with NetBSD on the mac!!

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."