Subject: Re: contrast and kdm on powerbook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/22/2005 07:54:45
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:31:12 +0000
Davide Zanon <d.zanon@infinito.it> wrote:

> This is my dmesg when using set-dfs-high:
>
> NetBSD 2.0 (ANGEL) #0: Thu Dec  2 19:58:26 GMT 2004
>         serah@nasty.serah.tvb:/usr/obj/sys/arch/macppc/compile/ANGEL
> total memory = 256 MB
> avail memory = 238 MB
> mainbus0 (root)
> cpu0 at mainbus0: Version 0x8003 (Revision 0x0101), ID 0 (primary)
> cpu0: HID0 8410c0bc<EMCP,EICE,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,FBIOB,ABE,BHT>
> cpu0: 1337.45 MHz, 256KB L2 cache

Excellent!

So it should be noted somewhere in the NetBSD docs, at least until
something more formal can be implemented, that calling set-dfs-high
before booting will enable full CPU speed on TiPBs.

Since instructions in Forth can be stacked, something like

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4 set-dfs-high boot hd:9,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd

should work for booting (after replacing partition info as appropriate).

Now it'd be nice to figure out how a CPU that has an unrecognized
version will get the CPU speed measured, as well as having an L2
cache listed.

tim