Subject: Re: contrast and kdm on powerbook
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/18/2005 13:43:16
At 1:20 PM -0500 1/18/05, Allen Briggs wrote:
>Oh.  I missed the referent for "why?"...  Most (all?) powerbooks
>can run at reduced speed to save power.

From the thread at

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/07/09/0002.html

it would appear that it is possible to manipulate the CPU into running at
full speed via Open Firmware. While the approach suggested is wired to
800MHz, and I believe also contains a typo, it is probably possible to
device a generic approach to this. The nvram script won't execute until
there is already a /cpus node, so it seems to me that a reboot to change
CPU speeds would not be necessary. It might take extra work to get the
Powerbook to actually go to sleep (and would be a nice feature), but at
least it'd run at full speed normally.

tim