Subject: Re: mc* performance patch
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2005 22:38:25
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 10:31:03PM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
> I may have reversed the chips between Beige G3s and AGP G4s.

Yeah.  I think the beige g3s use if_bm.

> I did not know that mii needed certain hardware to be present. I thought it
> was a generic approach to ethernet device drivers, and hadn't been applied
> yet to those two.

$ wtf mii
mii: mii (4) - IEEE 802.3 Media Independent Interface network bus

There are a number of ways that the MAC can talk to the physical
ethernet bus.  MII tries to standardize the interconnection so
that, in theory, the same PHY can be used with a range of MACs (or
vice versa).  In many cases these days, even integrated chips will
use a MAC <-> MII <-> PHY structure on a single core.  There are
some variants like GMII and RGMII for gig-e, too.

With an MII and PHY attachment, the software interface for probing
and configuring the media should be the same, even if the hardware
is different.  But there are some quirks in different PHY
implementations, so you can't always use 'ukphy' (unknown/generic
PHY) or the equivalent 'gentbi' (generic 10-bit interface) for fiber.

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/