Subject: Re: mc* performance patch
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2005 22:31:03
At 10:19 PM -0500 1/14/05, Allen Briggs wrote:
>I think that by default, we're not using dev/if_gm.c much, but
>sys/dev/pci/if_gem_pci.c & sys/dev/ic/gem*.  At least, I am on
>a g4 box.

I appear to have misspoken. My G4 uses gem* when in OpenBSD, so I assume
it'd do so in NetBSD as well. I had the impression I had the bmac chip, but
I may have reversed the chips between Beige G3s and AGP G4s.

>> What about mii for if_bm and if_mc? Is this appropriate?
>
>I don't know that hardware well enough.  If they have an MII bus
>and attach a PHY, then yeah.

I did not know that mii needed certain hardware to be present. I thought it
was a generic approach to ethernet device drivers, and hadn't been applied
yet to those two.

tim