Subject: Re: on board ethernet card problem
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/13/2005 13:33:31
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:27:21 -0500
Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu> wrote:

> Could that also be a symptom of incorrect packet checksum handling? I
> know when I fire up dhclient on any of my mac machines with bm0 I see
> a warning about "data after udp payload, packet size different than
> expected" or some such.

I've seen that some, too, but with OpenBSD (I'm almost finished with the
MBR support fixes so I can switch to NetBSD on my G4 while preserving
the OpenBSD files). I get it with dhcpd.

The reason for the packet dropping is because the buffer was empty, due
to either not being written to or not contiguous (and these may have the
same meaning). With no payload, the packet was dropped. However, the
packet was resident somewhere else in memory and contained data critical
to two way network traffic, hence the bad network performance.

tim