Subject: Re: Radeon 7000 works!! (mostly)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/13/2005 11:26:38
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:04:00AM -0500, Michael wrote:

> >xf86OpenConsole
> >
> >Fatal server error:
> >xf86ReadBIOS: open /dev/mem
> Silly thing wants to read a PCish BIOS on a Mac. Did you use my XFree
> stuff or the one from netbsd.org? On my iBook it just works ( it has a
> Mobility Radeon 9200 )

latest XFree that comes in the 2.0 CVS repository.  what do i need to get
from you?

> And...
> - - does /dev/mem exist and work? ( it should, but it's a suspect, even
> if it's unlikely )

wonko@zaphod$ ls -l /dev/mem
crw-r-----  1 root  kmem  2, 0 Feb 10  2004 /dev/mem

how do i test if it works?

> - - is the /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 binary setuid root? If not it won't be
> able to use /dev/mem

wonko@zaphod$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
-rws--x--x  1 root  wheel  1918890 Dec  6 21:41 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86

> If that doesn't work I'll have a look at the code and kick out the
> BIOS-related stuff for powerpc-based machines.

should i snag your stuff?  would that be the best solution?

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."