Subject: Re: my story of installing netbsd2.0 onto macppc
To: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/07/2005 07:53:36
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:32:48 -0800 (PST)
Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 0 >
> 	## since my macppc is 9500/200 it means 	## there's a
> problem with output-device and 	## thats the reason
> why I'm doing this over 	## serial rather than
> directly on mac first 	## check what do I have This
> will list all of 	## the devices present in my system
> 0 > dev /
> 0 > ls
> [...]
> FF83E498: /bandit@F4000000
> FF8408B8:   /pci106b,1@B
> FF840A90:   /pci10b6,2@D
> FF840D80:   /ATY,mach64@E
> [...]
> 0 > dev /bandit@F4000000/ATY,mach64@E  ok

This is the output from dev / ls I asked for when I first tried to help
with this. Without a serial session capture, though, the best I could
suggest was posting the output from
http://www.dialectronics.com/NetBSD/DisplayNameRegistry.hqx

Devices:device-tree:bandit:ATY,mach64
name = "ATY,mach64"
vendor-id = [00001002 = 4098]
device-id = [00004758 = 18264]
revision-id = [00000003 = 3]
class-code = [00030000 = 196608]
interrupts = [00000001 = 1]
min-grant = [00000000 = 0]
max-latency = [00000000 = 0]
devsel-speed = [00000001 = 1]
AAPL,interrupts = [0000001c = 28]
AAPL,slot-name = "E2"
fcode-rom-offset = [00000000 = 0]
model = "ATY,88800GX"
device_type = "display"
character-set = "ISO8859-1"
ATY,Rom# = "113-32900-104"
ATY,Mem# = "100-31602-00"
ATY,Card# = "102-329XX-XX"
reg
bus 1, dev 14, func 0, reg 0 (Config) rel, 00017000
00000000 00000000
bus 1, dev 14, func 0, reg 16 (Mem) rel, 02017010
00000000 01000000

In reviewing my email, I wrote (offline):

System Disk->Advanced Options

Leave Config file as "none"

Select manually configure for output-device and input-device

output-device -> kbd
input-device -> pci2/@D

Select "Stop Boot at Open Firmware prompt."

(end)

The above directions have not one but two errors. I swapped input and
output device, and I ended up saying "D" for 14, instead of "E"

> 0 > setenv output-device /bandit@F4000000/ATY,mach64@E

>  ok
> 0 > dev scsi-int  ok
> 0 > show-children
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300
>
>  ok
> 	## as far as I know DEFAULT CATCH! accurs 	## only if
> Open Firmware hadt trouble loading 	## a file does
> show-children load any file?

show-children is notoriously erratic. I have actually managed to get it
to work a total of _one_ time in OF 1.0.5, but it will work on later
versions. If you're installing onto the stock hard drive, usually it is
at @0, and the cd drive is almost always at @3.

> 	## there are no alias for cd so I would 	## assume
> that boot device and other stuff 	## must be fully
> specified...
> 	## thinking about that I came up with idea to 	##
> check my scsi drive info again
> 0 > dev scsi-int  ok
> 0 > ls
> FF83C9C8: /sd@0,0
> FF83D5F8: /st@0,0
> 	## I'm not sure but it seems to me that it's 	##
> worth trying messig about with /st@0,0
> 0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1
> NETBSD.MACPPC;1 Invalid tape file number unrecognized
> client program formastate not valid

st is tape. You'll need to use sd. A typical boot device would be

scsi-int/@0

use aliases whenever and where ever possible.

> 	## NetBSD/macppc install floppies		##instructions by
> looking at this has anybody 	## got a suggestion how
> can I start netbsd 	## install right from cd, it would
> be much 		## more convenient for me thanx for your
> time 	## and thanx for reading

In your boot command for booting from the cd, you wrote:

0> boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.MACPPC;1

but don't say what happened. Also, I'm not familiar with the use of
semicolons after the names of the files. Have you tried it without them?

> can anybody please write a note on NetBSD/macppc Model
> Support page that 9500/200 might have
> /bandit@F4000000/ATY,mach64@E instead of
> /bandit@F4000000/ATY,mach64@D , well the one that I
> found in north london- wood green just ouside
> somebody's house has, and if not my fried who insisted
> to take it nothing that would happend...
> spent way too much time on it today...

I wonder if this has something to do with another PCI card being
present, or the video card being in a different slot than stock.

tim