Subject: Re: poor mc* performance revisited
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/2004 06:44:46
Hi Riccardo,

>Well, I have my videocard and the other ethernet card (now). BUt without
>videocard stuff becomes nasty to use :) 9x00 series have no onboard
>video.

You can manually count which virq the video card is likely to receive. If
there are other listed irqs preceeding the attachment of the video card,
the card is in the second set of PCI slots and aren't likely to be a
problem. The way the OF tree is walked via mainbus is that it'll find each
bandit in order it appears in OF. As far as I know, the video card on your
9x00 will be at the second bandit, so other devices should have requested
virqs that would conflict well before your video card attaches.

>> So if you have a card in a PCI slot and have bad mace performance, remove
>> it and see if you still have this problem.
>
>if I jut pull it out and the video card and the second ethernet, can I
>hope the box comes up 'blindly' and gives me an telnet prompt? Do I need
>to resort to serial trickery?
>
>Anyway if it is something interesting to test, I will run the path.

If you can build a kernel, put in the additional print statement I added to
mapirq to see which virqs get assigned during the attachment process.

tim