Subject: Re: OpenFirmware screen reset
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/28/2004 17:42:48
Hello,

> > in order to restore a usable console when XFree86 exits I started to add
> > some cleanup stuff to ofb (mainly to reload the font after switching
> > from bitmapped to terminal emulation mode ), but since XFree86 doesn't
> > always clean up behind itself I'm looking for a way to tell OpenFirmware
> > to restore the video settings - reset-screen and fb8-reset-screen
> > apparently don't do anything, at least not on my S900 ( OF 1.0.5 ) - is
> > there anything else to try?
>
> I'd suggest forgetting OF and just making sure X and enough of the kernel
> knows how to clean up after itself. We are the only OS on the mac that
> expects to call into OF after boot, and I'm concerned that in the long run
> we'll run into problems.

Yes, OF appears to be a dead end anyway - digging through all the stuff was pretty frustrating. Getting XFree to behave well on non-PC hardware is quite a task though, some - like tdfx and partially mga - work well when getting access to the VGA registers, others like the ati Rage/Radeon driver need some x86ism's removed ( like expecting VGA registers where they appear on PCs and such )

have fun
Michael