Subject: Re: serial cable
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/24/2004 12:37:00
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 06:51:42AM -0500, Michael wrote:
> You can get MiniDIN<->SubD-9 adaptors pretty cheap from (almost) any Apple dealer, mine was ~$5 and also works with SGI and SPARC machines, some of them use the same serial connectors as Apple :)
> With that you can use a standard RS232 null-modem cable.
>
> have fun
> Michael

Related to this: I have such an adaptor at home, and have tried to
connect an 8500/120 running NetBSD 1.6.2 to an i386 box also running
NetBSD. I'm pretty young, so I've never had to do much with serial
consoles, etc, and I was wondering: what are the expected commands to
do something like this. Basically, I just want to be able to send text
to a device on one side (echo 'yarr' > /dev/???) and read it on the
other side (cat /dev/???).

My questions:

1. Which devices are the serial ports linked to? /dev/ttyE[0-7]?
/dev/tty0[0-3]? Can I know which port on the back of a machine
corresponds to which device?

2. Do serial ports work on NetBSD/macppc (I would think they should
but I have heard that maybe they don't)?

3. What other set up do I need to do in order to have this
communication work? I wouldn't think I would need to do anything to
/etc/ttys since I'm not trying to log in over a serial connection,
just send and receive data. However, maybe I need to enable speed or
protocol information somewhere?

Thanks,

-- Erik