Subject: Re: more information on -current kernel failure on booting on macppc
To: Robert Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/23/2004 21:58:50
>> hi,
>>
>> have you commented out 'OFB_ENABLE_CACHE' (to speed up the console
>> output)?
>>
>> regards,
>
> This was a standard GENERIC kernel, so OFB_ENABLE_CACHE was commented
> out.

OFB_ENABLE_CACHE runs well on my G4 -- for at least half a year. the
last days, the kernel started to fail :(

>   I think I played with that some time ago and it didn't play well on
> my system.  For some reason my B&W G3/G4 system has some issues with
> OFW.  I can run diskless and the USB mouse and keyboard work fine.

as said above, OFB et al. did run a-okay.

>   But if I install on the internal disk and try to boot and run from
> there I loose use of the USB keyboard and mouse.  In the past the
> internal IDE disk wouldn't work, but that problem appears to be
> resolved in all my latest builds.  The funny thing is that YellowDog
> Linux works fine on this system system - USB, disk, X, etc.

well, so does my G4 under NetBSD ;)

> Although to be honest, YDL 2.1 wouldn't run on the upgraded CPU (it
> would run on the original G3).  YDL 3.0 works fine on the G4 CPU.
> They still haven't fixed all the problems with X though.  I can only
> get one medium resolution working, but it at least runs.

X runs the way i want it to (i run it 1600 x 1200 at 24bpp on a Radeon
9000 Pro) -- except that the console is not 'reconstructed', but that's
a known issue.

i still wonder why the kernel panics in atabus1 -- i don't have
anything attached to it. and it did run until a week ago or so.

regards,

timo