Subject: Re: Binary packages available for 2.0
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/2004 21:46:37
--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:13:35AM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>=20
> > We are really well past a code freeze point. While we may get
> > last-minute fixes into 2.0, we're slipping things under the wire.
>=20
> Can the port freeze below 2.0 -release, and then get pulled up later?

Ports don't freeze, so I don't fully understand your question.

We certainly can pull fixes into the 2.0 branch after 2.0 ships. These=20
fixes will then show up in 2.1. However what we have now will be 2.0. The=
=20
only chance we can add fixes is if there's an RC6. I have no idea if there=
=20
will be one. While one would be good for macppc, 2.0 happens for all ports=
=20
at once. So any delay to fix things here delays everything.

> > It may well be better to start documenting what doesn't work. Like we
> > can call SMP experimental.=20
>=20
> We can't call it production quality. Don't get me wrong, a lot of great
> work went into it, but as far as I can tell, the primary CPU either sets
> spl to where it won't respond to interrupts, or it manages to turn off
> accepting external interrupts.

My main point was that we can label SMP support as "experimental" and thus=
=20
tell folks not to use it. Thus problems won't be a big issue. Mainly it is=
=20
something we can touch on in the documentation.

Take care,

Bill

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--