Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/2004 11:44:45
Michael wrote:

> Hmm, as far as I know the 7500 ( and probably a few others ) has OpenFirmware and comes with a 601 - would this 'just work' or does it require additional work?

the 7200 and 8200 have OF too. 1.0.5 to be precise.

Yesterday I spent some time trying to create a bootable hard disk like
John Klos suggested. It didn't came out perfect: The  9600 starts to
boot the kernel but it is not able to mount root and dump...

I guess it is trying to mount sd0a which is not true anymore since now
the internal disk which osx will be counted earlier (I attached the disk
at the external scsi bus). I will investigate further.

However I thought, let's attach it to the 8200...

First of all I can't egt a video output in OF 1.0.5 on the 8200! neither
with internal video card (/platinum) neither with the excellent Diamond
Javeline card that I have (which works in MacOS and MkLinux...) For now
I resorted to a serial console..

from what dev / ls tells me, the box has bandit and looks in many
aspects similar to the 9500. The devaliases are even wrong,, scsi and
scsi-int exist.. while I have only one NCR bus I think...

Anyway I try to boot from the scsi disk and I get a default catch and a
hex number immediately. I don't even see the HD led blink. Impressive :)
I set of course the load base stuff, etc.

The kernel is froma november unofficial snapsoth, the one that John Klos
pointed me out.

Cheers,

  Riccardo