Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Kirill Levchenko <kirill@lava.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 19:52:50
--d01dLTUuW90fS44H

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 11:39:53PM -0800, Kirill Levchenko wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2004 Chris Tribo wrote:
>=20
> >I've seen posts that 601 support was integrated and working, hopefully=
=20
> >its just a matter of someone stealing a 7200, 8200 or 7300 to test it.=
=20
> >If it works then tell the mac68k people so they can get those PPC=20
> >accelerator cards to do something useful :) I don't know if it's=20
> >complete, only in current or what.
>=20
> Where does this information come from? Can you point me to list posts?
>=20
> I've been trying to find out what is happening with 601 support, who is=
=20
> working on it, and where things stand. I even have some hardware for=20
> testing available. I was considering jumping in myself, but I fear I=20
> don't have the time, experience, strength, intelligence, wisdom,=20
> dexterity, mana, etc. to do that right now. But I can certainly test.

I think 601 support itself is done.

The real problem with supporting older machines is different. It is that=20
they don't have OF, and macppc currently assumes we have a working OF=20
around. Thus our current code base will never work.

We could, however, go to an approach where we keep an internal OF tree and=
=20
read properties out of it. Then all we need is for the booter to pass us=20
such a beast, and we're set. This behavior is what MkLinux does as I=20
recall.

> On Nov 18, 2004 Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>=20
> >3. Ethernet troubles. Onboard mc0 is essentially unusable
> >workaround: get another supported ethernet card (no, don't get a RTK
> >that one works bad under  NetBSD too)
>=20
> What is the problem with rtk? I couldn't find PR's detailing specific=20
> problems. I've had some troubles with these cards myself, specifically=20
> packet loss rates of about 5% when connected to 10baseT link (as=20
> opposed to 100baseT).

RTK makes (or made) devices which had issues that rendered them=20
exceptionally low-performance. To the extent that if you have one of these=
=20
cards, you really should just buy something else. I think the newer cards=
=20
aren't as bad, but they still cut corners and it shows.

Take care,

Bill

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H

--d01dLTUuW90fS44H--