Subject: creating a bootable hard disk
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 20:23:42
Hey all,

to test some stuff on a 9600 I found a spare 400MB hard disk. I just
thought I slam a minimal system on it and give the kernel and X a spin.

But booting is a PAIN! I have no CD image. I want to boot 2.0 stuff, so
I need 2.0 userland. releng.netbsd.org has been unavailable since ages.

I have found on ftp.netbsd.org a macppc build from 16 October. Might be
new enough. So I thought booting from floppy was a decent idea...

Floppy.. floppy.. how to c reate floppies... WIth my sunsparcstation
running solaris: I dd'd the 2 floppies, start to  boot, I get some
timeouts but the first loppy boots and asks for the second. but there it
fails to find a kernel or something (looks for various netbsd) or other
times it just gives the dreaded default catch.

Maybe my floppy drives suffers from underusage? :) Macosx doesn't
support my wonderful swim3...

I didn't came up with more intelligent ideas, one escamotage would be to
use a working 2.0 machine I have like the 4400 or the 9500, attach the
scsi disk and somehow dump kernel and userland onto it.

The main problem is the partitioning, I don't know how to parition this
new disk... to partition it as sysinst would do.

Can I maybe run sysinst from my computer and use it on the new disk?
Where could I find a sysint binary for this purpose?

Or are there easier ideas?

Cheers,
   Riccardo