Subject: more feedback.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: m. kolb <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 09:52:30
Since we are talking about needs, and assessments, I thought I'd throw
in mine.  I work from home (currently), where I own a G4 Quicksilver,
and a 12" iBook (800MHz model).  I also have a Sun Blade 100 (which I
hate, even though I am a Sun hardware advocate).  I dual boot my G4
between OSX and NetBSD (currently 2.0-RC5).  I run OSX on my laptop, and
do most of my work from there, partly because I can't get X to stabilize
on my G4.

I use my laptop, or desktop to ssh to my "work" workstation, which is a
Sun Ultra 5 running NetBSD 2.0-RC4.  I use that box (which I'm typing on
right now) as my mail server, a documentation web server, and a ssh
gateway to my other work machines.  The Ultra 5 performs admirably in
this capacity, and has for > 1 year.

I would love to use my G4 booting NetBSD as my main workstation, but as
I mentioned, I can't get X to stabilize on it.  It was working okay
quite some time ago (right before 1.6) with an EDID patch from
A. Briggs.  But since then as others have mentioned as well, it crashes
under load.  I was not getting core files from it, and was so frustrated
after loading/unloading various X modules w/o effect, that I gave up and
began using my laptop (OSX) full time.

This recent postings on this list have inspired me to at least try
again.  So, I upgraded my sources to the most recent 2.0 (RC5 as of this
time), and rebuilt X...with X11_TYPE=xorg in my mk.conf.  I figured it
was worth a try, just to see if it made any difference, and since it
appears the world is going that way anyways.

I will follow up with any results.

So again, for me, the primary problem with the platform is poor X
stability.  I am willing to help in any fashion required of me.

Additionally, I'd like to thank the folks who have worked hard for so
many years (I subscribed to the list in late 97 or so, and have been
messing around with NetBSD ever since).  Thank you developers, for
giving up your free time so others can reap the benefits.  Your work is
appreciated.

./matt

--
m. kolb  <muk@msu.edu>  <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu>