Subject: Re: CVS commits for macppc
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@nosflow.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 12:52:39
Heh, nice thing

Michael Wolfson wrote:

> In general, most of the NetBSD development effort focuses on i386.
> My shot-in-the-dark guess as to user levels is something like:
> i386 (85%)
what is x86? :)

> macppc (5%)
I rise hand

> sparc (3%)
I rise hand again, although I have 1.6.2

> mac68k (1%)
I rise another hand here.

> Among the non-i386 platforms, it seems developer effort is
> disproportionately focused on sparc and alpha.  That said, most of the
> developers are working on the platform with the most users (i386).  It's
> easy to feel ignored, but consider the total number of platforms we
> support!

Well, it is not easy to share developer effort. But don't think that for
example Sparc and Mac68k are panacea. Both are plagued by problems. I
refer to 1.6.2 here. The first has serious problem with the linker that
makes running of elf binaries fail while they work on other platforms.
And this has been like 1.5 AFAIK. and mac68k simply needs more
development in the kernel which no one take s care to do.
I don't want to say that NetBSD in general seems to suffer from a sort
of "lack of interest" towards linux.... but...

Also think that we don't support older NuBus Macs and PCI macs with a
601 CPU... (someone had progress on 601 cpu on r6k but I never got any
more news)

> > I have a local patch in my kernel to ignore the 5th button generated
> > by a tap on the trackpad because it makes Xt menus unusable, but then
> > again it looks like I'm the only one affected.
>
> And I thought I was alone!  I just hadn't had a chance to dig into it.
> Please send me your patch.
I'm not so lucky to own such new hardware!

My PowerBook is a 1400 and so NuBus. Not even MkLinux is really usable
on it, only Debian. Let's put it this way: an excuse to know and use
what the arch-enemy "linux/debian" provides. And... it is not bad in
many aspects, I am sorry to say.

-R