Subject: Miro / Zoran video chipset
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 14:21:51
Hello,

I just started writing a driver for my Miro DC10+ video board, basically it's a Zoran ZR36057 PCI frontend coupled with a SAA7110 video decoder, a Zoran ZR36060 MJPEG codec and probably some other video encoder. So far the module loads, attaches properly, establishes an interrupt handler and resets the board. Exciting, huh? :)
Since the ZR36057 can be coupled with quite a lot of different video (and other - audio for instance) components it would obviously make some sort of sense to write separate drivers for them which would attach to the ZR36057. This raises a few questions:
- the chip uses an I2O bus to talk to other components - is there an easy way to identify I2O slaves by name or do I have to rely on their bus addresses and just probe all of them?
- I didn't yet look at it, but would it make sense to implement the same interface as the BrookTree driver?
- the card can transfer decoded video data directly into framebuffer memory, all it needs is a physical address and a few geometrical parameters - is there a standard API for this stuff?
and - so far the module is a MOD_DRV so attaching is easy, on the other hand I need a /dev entry which would be easier with a MOD_DEV. Either documentation is sketchy or I just didn't find the right one, so - how do I register a major device number from a MOD_DRV? Or the other way around - how would I attach a driver from a MOD_DEV?

have fun
Michael