Subject: XFree86 (was Re: CVS commits for macppc)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 11:08:08
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Michael wrote:

> I guess not too many people were able to use XFree at all

It's such a complete and utter PITA to configure.  I spent several hours
of trial-and-error-crashing-my-powerbook trying to find the right
settings.  Xmacppc just works.  Maybe I'm spoiled by platforms where the X
server knows about the hardware and figures out the right settings.
XFree86 seems to know about the hardware, but requires you to dig through
the code and developer documentation to figure out how to tell it what it
already knows.

Yeah, I did try XFree86 -config and it bombed like everything else.

That said, I did finally get it working on my PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
which has a Rage 128 M2, and it's been fairly happy.

> Maybe most people either have a Radeon or are happy with Xmacppc.

Xmacppc is *much* easier to set up (about 2 seconds to relink
/usr/X11R6/bin/X to it vs. hours of trial-and-error-and-google for XFree86).

  -- MW