Subject: Re: CVS commits for macppc
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 12:09:22
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

> Hmm, before thinking that we lack a port-maintainer, I rather feel
> like we lack users!
[snip]

> It looks to me that "forall x in UserBase. x is happy". Maybe UserBase
> is empty. ;-)

I wonder if it has anything to do with the install process. I recently
tried to talk an online buddy into putting NetBSD on his biege g3. He
started to so, but then got fed up after 3 hours of trying to work out the
right OF boot-device. He then told me that he switched to OpenBSD and it
installed right away, easily, and with no problems. I have never installed
OpenBSD (and don't want to ;-), but perhaps we should look at how they do
things. I see they have a bootable CD (press "c"), but they only support
new world Macs.

I know Bob Nestor has been working on bootable cds (with the C key). (As a
side note, I was not able to get that to work, Bob, but I think it had
more to do with how I burned the CD than with anything else.)

If NetBSD macppc is hard to install fewer people will use it. NetBSD is a
piece of cake to install with two floppies on an i386 machine. Obviously,
Macs weren't designed to run anything but MacOS. Nevertheless, perhaps
there would be some way to make the install process easier.

Of course, NetBSD is the intelligent hacker's choice... By making it easy
to install perhaps it wouldn't be ;-)

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------