Subject: CVS commits for macppc
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 08:13:31
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:47:46 -0500
"Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> Could a file containing the above 'bootscript' be checked into CVS so
> that src/etc/etc.macppc/Makefile could be created with a
> "iso-image-md-post" and "iso-image-md-pre" target hooks to make the
> ISO bootable? src/distrib/cdrom/hfsmap.lst is already there.  This is
> the next logical step.

Well, that's an interesting question. I've been going back over the
source-changes mailing list archives, and as far as code commits for the
macppc,

November:
commits for changes to the distrib notes, a reverted disklabel change,
an option in the config file

October:
change to the linking address for the installer and memory disk (MD)
kernels

September:
none

August:
changes to if_wi_obio.c, wdc_obio.c

July:
config files changes, machdep.c to not attach both ADB and USB when
keyboard type is unknown

June:
add -c to boot arguments in ofwboot, change in detecting thegrfioctl.h
interrupt-controller via Open Firmware, changes to keyboard
identification, config file changes

May:
change to Tsubai Masanari's license

April:
change in file location of soft_intr_init, config file change, change in
handling OF nodes without a particular property, change to Makefiles for
the bootloader, change in /etc, changes to apm.c, if_bm.c, grfioctl.h

March:
change to fix-coff script naming, move ofwboot linking address to deal
with larger kernels, changes to Makefiles, zero out bss in ofwboot
differently, adding soft interrupt support to extrint.c and
others, call hardclock() after cpu_initclocks, change to config files,
change to man files, change assembly syntax for delay()

February:
make installboot standalone program

January:
update some wdc-related files to make them compile, change to Locore.s

December, 2003:
change to wdc, distribution notes, fixcoff, fix identification of device
in config files, lots of bootloader code, add Keywest and snapper audio
device drivers, change to wdc_obio.c to deal with compiler issue,
changes to kauai.c and wdc_obio.c regarding "channel allocation"

November, 2003:
fix awacs.c to eliminate some compiler warnings, changes to ofcons.c,
config files, man pages

Few of the above were meaningful code changes, and as far as I can
tell, there was only one new driver added in that time. Although the
driver was written by the port-maintainer, only one other commit
referenced him. Only a few commits referenced PRs.

In the meantime, here is our line in the nightly trouble
ticket from netbsd-bugs

Category     critical  serious non-crit  TOTAL Median TTC

port-macppc  7         27        12        46     7m 24d  07:25:16

There are only four ports that rank worse than us on TTC (time to
correct):

port-acorn32  0        4           4        8     10m  5d 08:20:03
port-arc        0         3          1         4  1y 10m 21d 15:02:22
port-evbarm  0         1          1         2      9m 2d17:20:18
port-ofppc     0        1           0         1      8m  8d 23:53:00

In other words, the other ports that have PRs out as long as we do, and
we have a lot of them by comparison, are not active. In fact, if one
looks at the PRs for our port, it becomes difficult to determine how
many are still valid due to the length of time it's been since the PR
was filed.

I infer that the current port-maintainer has taken a leave of absence
from the lack of posting and commits. I personally have learned a great
deal from his code, and I know that his contributions to this port have
been immense. As such, I feel that the formal position title remains his
until he decides to return or resign. However, in the meantime this
port is suffering and needs interim leadership. Matt Thomas is listed
as the port-maintainer for two other ports as well as being in core, and
probably has his hands full.

At this time, I would like to nominate Bill Studenmund to take over
provisional port-maintainer status, until either the current
port-maintainer returns or a suitable replacement can be found.

sincerely,
tim