Subject: RE: Booting installed system
To: , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/17/2004 01:23:39
Hi,

Your machine should have OpenFirmware > 3.0 installed, so that means you can't use the partitioning tool provided by NetBSD sysinst (the installer program), you have to do it yourself with Apple tools and/or pdisk.  When I installed NetBSD on my iBookSE, I used the software that came on the MacOS 9 install disc to create the requisite A/UX partition types (and the HFS partition of course).

See here: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/macppc/INSTALL.html#Partitioning%20your%20hard%20drive%20for%20NetBSD

In other words, you have to create everything before you run the NetBSD installer, then you skip those same steps in the installer.

Hope this helps,

Dave