Subject: Booting installed system
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Graham J Lee <leeg@teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/16/2004 00:13:07
This may not be so much booting the system, as learning how to set it
up appropriately in the first place (or at least learning to use
OpenBoot on something that isn't a Sun for a change)...

My system looks like this (it's a 500MHz Sawtooth G4 AGP, currently
512MiB RAM):
wd0 = 28.0GB Seagate ST330621A #this is the NetBSD target
wd1 = 19.1GB Maxtor 2B020H1 #single HFS+ slice
sd0 = 17.1GB Quantum Atlas 10K 18WLS #two slices; HFS+ for Mac OSX and
an OpenStep-style UFS slice

So on the Seagate I used OS X disk utility to create a 4.0MB HFS+
slice, upon which I copied /path/to/cdrom/ofwboot.xcf and the
netbsd-GENERIC.gz kernel from my install CD.  The rest of the disk was
marked (from Darwin's POV) as unused space.  Boot from install CD,
select vt100, select (I), choose wd0 as the disk, offered some
partition maps for "the NetBSD part of the disk", and chose 32MB /,
2048MB swap, rest=/usr.  newfs goes fine.  Select to install all the
tgzs from CD-ROM, this works, get to the reboot and (unsurprisingly) OS
X pops back up.  Only my 4.0MB HFS+ slice seems to have
disappeared...Darwin is seeing a single slice (disk0s2) which consumes
the entire disk.  Presumably I made a wrong turn at the partitioning
stage...my experience of installing BSDs (apart from Darwin) is on x86
and my understanding there is that the BSD will create itself a primary
partition, then generate BSD partitions *within* that.  Is this not
what happens on the Mac?

Is my NetBSD-macppc system now bootable through some OF invocation;
perhaps with the ofwboot on the CD-ROM?  If not, what should I do
differently through the installation stage to end up with a bootable
NetBSD at the end next time?

Cheers,

Graham.
--