Subject: Re: sysinst/partitions/APM/fresh installs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/14/2004 12:45:18
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:58:55 -0500
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com> wrote:

> is it possible that sysinst/pdisk picked up the previous NetBSD
> partitioning scheme and used it, even though this was an attempt to do
> a fresh install?

I have offline communications indicating that this is possible.
Unfortunately, I had a hard drive failure on a Mac I absolutely have to
keep MacOS and I had to press into service my testing hard drive.

As a proposed test, I offer the following experiment:

Run the 2.0RC4 installer and partition the disk in a multi-partition
manner

Install

Boot into MacOS

Reformat the disk HFS+

Copy files to it

Reboot into the RC4 install and run "install" (not upgrade or reinstall)

See if the partitioning scheme presented as default matches the previous
partitioning scheme.

Rerun but format HFS

Please return positive and negative results, as well as the version of
Disk Tools used for format HFS/HFS+. As there are legitimate arguments
for leaving the previous partitioning scheme resident, but also
legitimate reasons that a fresh install should be exactly that, it
should probably presented as an option to the user to keep the previous
partitioning scheme if one is found.

To the best of knowledge, the above circumstances led to sysinst
presenting a partitioning scheme that I interpreted to be the default
scheme. Since this is not consistent with the current philosophy,
confirmation of this would be filed as a PR.

tim