Subject: Re: macppc 9500 output-device + firmware problem
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/14/2004 10:35:49
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 10:28:25 -0500
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com> wrote:

> I find that rebooting via the keyboard, which is often necessary when
> debugging bootloaders, makes it almost impossible to have one's
> fingers in place before the bong. On at least one occasion while
> rebooting from OS X I held the keys down too soon and OS X hung up on
> something. Certainly as close to the bong as possible is good advice,
> which is what I was trying to convey.

Also, I find on the G4s that holding down the keys too soon can cause
problems, and I believe that what happens is the console video doesn't
set up so the input-output for OF goes somewhere else. I am actually
unable to boot into OF on my G4 from MacOS 9, and I can't auto-boot at
all (no video output). I have to boot into OS X from MacOS 9 and then
reboot from there. Then I can get the G4 to go into OF on the console,
after I hear the bong.

tim