Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/13/2004 13:34:09
On 13 Nov 2004 13:24:03 -0500
"Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Have a look at sys/arch/i386/i386/db_interface.c, the "cpu" subcommand
> there, and the db_mach_cpu() funtction in that file that implements
> it. It should be straightforward, and quite useful, to port that over
> to the powerpc db_interface.c.

Is this going to be a problem?

	if (ci != curcpu()) {
		if (!(ci->ci_flags & CPUF_PAUSE)) {
			db_printf("CPU %ld not paused\n", addr);
			return;
		}
	}

The other CPU isn't responding to interrupts, or at least, not
Interprocessor Interrupts (IPI), when this problem occurs. I've been
able to get the other CPU to panic using a semaphore, but only after
something else kick starts that CPU or thread again (like a reboot). It
might be my lack of understanding, but to me that means that we won't be
able to get the other CPU into a paused state.

(Not that getting MP support in the macppc ddb is not needed, as it is.)

tim