Subject: root device?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/11/2004 12:59:29
During boot it seems the kernel is unable to tell the root device:

boot device: <unknown>
root device: wd0a
dump device (default wd0b):
file system (default generic):
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
init path (default /sbin/init):
init: trying /sbin/init

I have to enter it manually. Is this the issue being discussed here by
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>  ??

>2) I figured out that the problem with the kernel misidentifying the
>boot device appears to be in the manner in which the boot path is
>specified in Open Firmware. For example,
>
>boot scsi-int/@6:0,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd
>
>is a perfectly valid path, even though I didn't specify "sd." This is
>because OF will use the first child of scsi-int it finds, and sd will
>always be found before st. However, once this has been through the
>canonization routine in autoconf.c, the node has been dropped and the
>canonized bootpath becomes (stuff)/sd@0. I hope to have a patch on this
>soon.

I tried setting boot-device to ide0/disk@0:0 instead of ide0/@0:0 on this
Wallstreet PB 300. This change did not affect the problem.

If this is indeed the problem described above, and someone has a patch (I
thought I saw amessage about that today, but the archive is updated
nightly it would seem), I would be happy to try it out. This is a new
install (nothing to worry about breaking).

Thanks,

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------