Subject: x11, keycodes, GL...
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/11/2004 11:25:28
Hello all!

thanks to Michael's kernel and Xfree server now I am enjoying X on mz
powermac. But many rough edges need to be sorted out (apart that I
needed to recompile more than one program to alleviate endianness and
bit color problems...)

I summarize them here

- the well known "garbage on exit"

- keycodes. Michael suggested to use a modified xmodmap, he gave me his
and I tweaked it to my apple enhanced 2 keyboard so it is usable but it
is far from perfect
Many applications (mostly motif related, like mwm itself, but also
remote motif programs exported to this display) complain about invalid
or missing key codes... Maybe someone else has done better work ?

f13 f14 f15 all send the same keycode.

I set a generic PC keyboard (101 or 104 keys I think) in xfree config...

- caps-lock, scroll-lock, num-lock leds don't work

- mouse button emulation. I put in Pointer_Button2 and 3 together with a
buttoneable thing in the xmodmap on keys f8 f9 f10 but this is far from
optimal. Most user expect to ctrlclick, alt-click etc. This is almost
standard nowadays on mac. Think about MkLinux, about apple's X11 but
also applications under macos, like Blender, handle it that way. Of
cours e there is the problem of meta-keys, but I would care less and we
always have "command" key left for that... alt-f9 and scroll mouse with
the other arm is 100% not ergonomic

- GL! is ther a way to get GL working? to run glxgears lets say ((but
for more serious stuff too). The best thing would be hardware
acceleration since enev win95 was able to get this out of my matrox. The
next step would be mesaGL but they would be compiled in a way so that
they pass through X11 GL (something the author, Briuan Paul, usually
doesn't support directly, AFAIK). This is needed to be able to export a
DISPLAY or use binaries... since those call X11 GL protocol. Otherwise
linking directly to mesa is more cumbersome.

Just a bunch of ideas and questions,

Riccardo