Subject: Re: Wallstreet PB booting
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/10/2004 21:23:38
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Chris Tribo wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 9:51 PM, Joe Laffey wrote:
>
>> I am having a lot of trouble determining the Open Firmware voodoo for the
>> internal ( IDE it would seem) drive.
>>
>> I got the system installed on this drive by booting with netboot, placing
>> the install kernel and ofwboot.xcf on another box. This worked fine. I
>> installed via ftp and most everything seemed ok. (I did get one error when
>> it first started formating the disk. I should have written this down.)
>>
>> Anyway, now I am trying to boot the newly installed system.
>>
>> I assume I want the partition 0 method, as this is OF 2.0.1.
>>
>> I tried:
>> setenv boot-file netbsd
>> setenv boot-device ata0/disk@0:0
>>
>> But it claims it cannot open that device. I tried ata0/disk@0:1 all the way
>> up to 0:16 as well. When I had the nvramrc patches active I tried ide0
>> instead of ata0.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get open firmware to boot this? I wonder if that error
>> I saw had something to do with setting up the bootloader. I may have to run
>> the install again and log that error.
>>
>> Thanks,

> You need the system disk or startup disk patches installed into your nvram to
> boot from the ide drives. Boot device should be ide0/@0:0 not ata0. ide0 and
> ide1 are the patched versions of ata0 and ata2 IIRC.

Hmmm. I just tried this again. Still no go. I have boot-file set to netbsd
and boot-device ide0/@0:0

I wonder if this has anything to do with the disklabel error about an
invalid signature in mbr record 0.

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------