Subject: Re: Wallstreet PB booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/10/2004 21:08:37
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Joe Laffey wrote:

> I am having a lot of trouble determining the Open Firmware voodoo for the
> internal ( IDE it would seem) drive.
>
> I got the system installed on this drive by booting with netboot, placing the
> install kernel and ofwboot.xcf on another box. This worked fine. I installed
> via ftp and most everything seemed ok. (I did get one error when it first
> started formating the disk. I should have written this down.)
>
> Anyway, now I am trying to boot the newly installed system.
>
> I assume I want the partition 0 method, as this is OF 2.0.1.
>
> I tried:
> setenv boot-file netbsd
> setenv boot-device ata0/disk@0:0
>
> But it claims it cannot open that device. I tried ata0/disk@0:1 all the way
> up to 0:16 as well. When I had the nvramrc patches active I tried ide0
> instead of ata0.
>
> Any ideas on how to get open firmware to boot this? I wonder if that error I
> saw had something to do with setting up the bootloader. I may have to run the
> install again and log that error.

The error I encounter during install is:

command: disklabel -w -r -f /tmp/disktab wd0 'IBM-DYLA-28100'

disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0

I will keep experimenting. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

--
Joe Laffey                |        Visual Effects for Film and Video
LAFFEY Computer Imaging   |        ---------------------------------