Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2004 12:19:04
Hi Pavel,

> Finish doing what? You should build the tools first.

I thought I was doing that.
From http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#using-anoncvs

"Building NetBSD from source
(assuming you have an up-to-date NetBSD binary snapshot, and source in
/usr/src, on your machine already; further assuming your BSDOBJDIR
should be /usr/obj):

To build userland the first time:

# mkdir /usr/obj
# cd /usr/src

# ./build.sh -O /usr/obj -D /usr/NetBSD-new-build -T /usr/tools build
# ./build.sh -O /usr/obj -D /usr/NetBSD-new-build -T /usr/tools
# install=/

When you build your system for the first time using build.sh, a set of
tools for future use of compilations will be built, too. Any subsequent
compilation should reuse the already compiled tools, and thus take less
time."

> See http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating, note that
> you can do step#4 (building the kernel) before step#3 (building
> distribution). Then you will have a -current kernel and you can try it
> without having a-current userland.

Yes, but I have been unable to get into releng.netbsd.org for several
days. The connection keeps getting refused. This has prevented me from
obtaining the tarballs and updating this way, so I was following the
instructions for "Tracking NetBSD-current with anoncvs." I had been able
to get one tarball, sys.tgz, before and did unpack that one, but I ran
cvs update -dP Saturday and it appeared to have moved or updated several
files. Other than that, everything came in via cvs.

I can not say that I have an up-to-date binary snapshot, as the most
recent build date from ftp.fr.netbsd.org for macppc is not the most
current release. I had hoped that building everything from source would
resolve this.

> > and then ideally having a uniform environment.
> >
> > As far as step 3, I have not done that. According to src/Makefile,
> > build implicitly incorporates do-tools,
>
> if you type "config", the config command from your system is used, not
> the one from tools. Use build.sh or find the "nbconfig" command in the
> tools directory and use that.

nbconfig was in /usr/tools/bin at one time, according to locate, but it
is not there now. I believe that some of the problems I've had with the
kernel panics in MP left the tools tree in an unstable state or I ended
up blowing it away when I installed RC4 on top of RC2, to unify the
kernel and installed binaries.

> so I thought it would be the
> > same. It seemed like I could skip step 7 if I followed the next four
> > steps, which I planned to do.
>
> The document says that it is a "good idea" to use the new toolchain,
> which you have just proved :-)

So just to clarify, if I do
# ./build.sh -O /usr/obj -D /usr/NetBSD-new-build -T /usr/tools build

this won't build a new toolchain from the sources?

I took the document to describe two separate approaches, in which the
steps were independent of each other. Is this incorrect?

thanks,
tim