Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2004 10:58:14
Hi Pavel,

> You are compiling -current kernel on 2.0beta, this won't work. Either
> compile a matching kernel version or follow the instruction for
> cross-compiling:
> see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel,
> in particular steps 3 and 7, or
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-build.html#chap-boot-cross-compiling-kernel
>
> Bye	Pavel

Well, I had been following the instructions at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#using-anoncvs

which seem similar, with the exception that it defines some specific
directories. I haven't been able to get ./build.sh to ever successfully
finish, though. Once I get it to finish build, I planned on installing
and then ideally having a uniform environment.

As far as step 3, I have not done that. According to src/Makefile,
build implicitly incorporates do-tools, so I thought it would be the
same. It seemed like I could skip step 7 if I followed the next four
steps, which I planned to do.

However, your explanation that there is a mismatch causing the config to
fail is valuable because that was my suspicion but I did not know for
sure.

thanks,
tim