Subject: Re: Abysmal mc0 performance
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2004 07:23:04
On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 10:59:31AM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Michael Wolfson wrote:
> >
> > It works fine in 1.6.2 and 2.0RC4.  But AFAICT -current drops half the
> > packets.  This is on a PowerMacintosh 7300.
> >
> > Any further info I should include when I file a PR?
> >

> This is a known problem, at least here in the list. My 9500 exhibit the
> same behavior, I tried once a 9600 and did the same. I had problems with
> all 2.0-series kernels.
>
> Unfortunately some of the coders here that have the same ethernet
> chip... can't reproduce the problem. So it is interesting :)

to toss my two cents in:

performance doesn't seem to be terrible for me, but then i'm not hammering it
real hard, it's the the connection that X uses to remote display to my laptop.

however, i do get one of these every couple of minutes:

Nov  4 06:32:13 zaphod /netbsd: mc0: collision error
Nov  4 06:32:13 zaphod /netbsd: mc0: lost carrier

and if i don't have the laptop running and plugged into the mac (cross-over
cable) the mac won't boot past getting mc0 online.

-brian
--
IHTFP: I firmly believe that people dumber than me exist solely for my
			 amusement.