Subject: Re: sync negotiation with drives
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/29/2004 12:10:22
Hello,

> Note, that this drive still works fine, even if it's the root drive.
> It just takes a little longer for the kernel to try the different
> filesystem types after renegotiating with the drive.  Also, this drive
> had no sync problems with 1.6.2:
The problem isn't sync mode per se - it's sync mode with mesh, which doesn't work.

> sd1 at scsibus2 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DCAS-32160, S65A> SCSI2 0/direct
> fixed
> sd1: 2063 MB, 8188 cyl, 3 head, 172 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4226725
> sectors
... so this drive operates in async mode.
My DCAS 34330 has a jumper labeled 'TI sync negotiation' - was open by default. I guess 'TI' means 'target initiated' - I'm pretty sure I'd get the same problems as Riccardo when closing it.

have fun
Michael