Subject: Re: mesh timeout errors on 9500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/24/2004 15:26:24
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Michael wrote:

> stable for me. Did you change the flags field in the kernel config? (
> mesh0 at obio? flags 0xffff or so ) ? As far as I know these flags
> disable synchronous data transfers for all targets, I had all sorts of
> weird problems - pretty similar to yours - when I changed them. I've
> asked on this list what's wrong with the mesh driver and why we have to
> bog it down like that but didn't get any answer.

	I've only ever used async targets on mesh so far. I'll try to hook
up a hard drive to it on my beige g3 when I get a chance and see if I can
make it break. I remember getting sd0 cache synchronization failed from my
ZIP drive but that thing is a hunk of junk anyway.

> But something else - does anyone here know of a SCSI card for PCI macs
> that's based on the SymBIOS 53c875 controller? I have one of these
> cards, it works with the esiop driver on macppc ( althoug I didn't
> really stress-test it ), all that's missing is a firmware image ( and a
> flash tool but that shouldn't be too problematic ) so OF could boot from
> it. I know Sun used them - would Apple's OF work with this kind of
> firmware? fcode is supposed to be forth and therefore CPU-independent,
> did anyone ever try to use a Sun PCI card in a Mac? Of course it
> wouldn't boot classic MacOS, but loading ofwboot is all I want it to do.

	I had an ATTO card that should be OFW bootable that was an esiop
board. My understanding is that Apple and Sun OpenPROM fcode is
interchangeable; which is how Apple has the LSI Fusion MPT FiberChannel
cards to power the Xraid. I don't remember any success or unsuccessful
reports to the list mail though.

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.