Subject: Time to switch?
To: NetBSD <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@rogers.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/2004 10:10:55
I have been using Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 on my old Powermac 9500 for
quite a while.  Except for problems with serial-port printing, I have
been happy with it.  Now, with the new 4.0 release, YDL has ceased to
"officially" support pre-G3 machines.  This says to me, "You're on your
own, Jack."   I would be willing to switch to another flavor of Linux
or NetBSD if there weren't huge problems getting it to run on my
machine.  Basically, I use it as a development workstation, not a
server.

I know that dual-booting with BootX is out, but is there something like
Mac-on-Linux in the BSD world?

How about serial-port printing?  USB printing?

Using the kernel argument:  video=atyfb:vmode:13,cmode:32 I have X up
and running just fine.  Can I do the same with NetBSD?

Any advice would be welcome.

Tom