Subject: Re: xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen
To: Krishnan sunderam <sunderam_k@yahoo.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/13/2004 17:45:45
Hello,

> OS: NetBsd 1.6.2, XFree86 4.3
> Problem: I am running into the following error when
> running startx..
>
> xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=20000,a=a0000]
> (Invalid argument)
>

> My XF86Config file (the Device portion looks like
> this)
> Section "Device"
>  Identifier "ATI Rage 128"
>  Driver "r128"
>  BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
>  Option "ProgramFPRegs" "No"
> EndSection

As I said before - this comes from the vgahw module which currently doesn't work on macppc ( can't access VGA registers and the wsdisplay/ofb driver doesn't allow to mmap the VGA framebuffer ) - either use a graphics card with an XF86 driver that doesn't use vgahw ( radeons are reported to work ) or - if you feel adventurous - I've made a few patches which make vgahw work, but they're dangerous since there's (currently) no way to verify if vgahw can really access the registers or just got some memory block so you may end up with very odd frequencies that might fry your monitor ( although most halfway recent monitors just shut down in this case ). So far I successfully tested it with a Voodoo3 and a Matrox Millennium, others should work too.

have fun
Michael