Subject: bm0 performance issues on PowerMac G3 (Blue&White) with NetBSD 2.x*
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/12/2004 16:39:39
Hi,

Ok, so everyone is reporting their performance issues. :)

I just picked up an older blue and white Powermac G3 (450mhz) from a
friend at work and installed NetBSD on it.  Local subnet receive
performance is rather abysmal, something like 24KBytes/s typically,
while remote performance is 300KBytes/s+ (maxing my cable modem).

Switching from 100/full (auto) to 10/half (media utp) boosts
performance to around what you would expect of a 10Mb/s connection.

Since locally receive performance sucks compared to remote ftp
sessions, I decided I might be able to tweak the TCP receive window
size to reduce the back to back packets that are, in theory
overrunning the ifq or something.

I changed net.inet.tcp.recvspace from 32768 to 2048 and receive
performance jumped to nearly 4.5MBytes/s, of course remote performance
suffered due to the whole BDP thing and my low window size.

So the bottom line is that it appears the 'bm' driver has some issues
with receive performance.

Has anyone else seen this?  I've tried it out on a couple of different
(cheap) switches to see if that makes a difference, but it doesn't
appear to matter.

-Andrew