Subject: re: mc0 performance
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2004 17:57:40
Trouble with mc0:  me too.

I'm currently running the following custom NetBSD kernel on our mac
7500 (upgraded CPU to G3 @500Mhz): NetBSD t982.rse.com 1.6ZF NetBSD
1.6ZF (EASTERN-1.6ZF.backside) #0: Wed Nov 19 17:40:14 EST 2003.  mc0
works well -- typical ftp at 700-800 KBS.

I ftp'd the 20040925 (netbsd 2.0H) current set and compiled a new
kernel.  Installed and booted.  Seemed to work OK, responsive from
(serial) console, but, when I telnetted, very sluggish.  Not
responsive.

I re-booted old 1.6ZF kernel.  Runs fine.  No trouble with mace
ethernet.

I waited, downloaded the 20041002 (netbsd 2.99.9) current set and
compiled a new kernel.  Seemed fine, until I telnetted.  Very
sluggish. Not responsive.

Smarter this time, I tried ping out.  Two of three packets dropped.

So, again I re-booted old 1.6ZF kernel.  Runs fine.  No trouble with
mace ethernet.

I looked through the mailing lists and found a few sysctl things to
try to turn off.  Did that.  No change.

So, I tried compiling out the IPV6 stuff, and booted again.  Seemed
fine, until I telnetted.  Very sluggish. Not responsive.  No
change. boring.

Getting the drift, I tried ping'ing the mac from another computer. Two
of three packets dropped.  Samo, samo.

So, again I re-booted old 1.6ZF kernel.  Runs fine.  No trouble with
mace ethernet.

And through it all, no error messages.  Nothing in the logs.  No help.
Only outre message in start-up when looking for a panic core dump:

Checking for core dump...
savecore: can't find device 872/481129

Baffled.

So, I looked for what changed in the macppc software wrt mace.
AFAICT, nothing.  Stuff hasn't been touched in a long time.

Well, sounds like dropped interrupts.  So I go looking for changed
stuff having to do with interrupts.  Nothing, except...

Ah, HAVE GENERIC SOFT INTERRUPTS.  Implemented for the mac mace by
some sort of wrapper.  One failure mode of which could be exactly what
I saw -- lots of dropped packets.

So.  1. Anyone still seeing difficulties with mc0?  On later editions
	of NetBSD?  Anyone seeing success with 2.0?

     2.	Anyone better versed give me a tip as to where to look? Or
        look himself?

(P.S. as to media: The only media the mace works on, as far as I know,
is 10BaseT. I didn't see anything in the code to indicate the AUI is
supported at all.  Ours is 10BaseT.)

Kind regards, and thanks in advance,

-Mike

Some time ago, there was an exchange along this line: