Subject: Re: UFS root, how? was Re: 2.0 rc1 default catch
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kendall Shaw <queshaw@pacbell.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2004 18:04:41
d.zanon@infinito.it wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 08:51, you wrote:
> On my powerbook root (UFS in a APPLE_UFS type partition) is on wd0e,
> so the kernel prompted me every time for the root device and the
> filesystem type.
> I had to recompile the kernel with this line in the configuration file:
>
> config          netbsd  root on wd0e type ffs # I think could omit ffs, but...

Ok, I tried this, cross compiling a kernel from current, with a copy of
GENERIC with the line:

config netbsd root on wd1a ffs

then I copied netbsd to the root of my MacOS X file system in it's HFS+
partition.

hd: is wd0 something and the UFS partition that I installed netbsd onto
is wd1a.

 From openfirmware:

boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd

and I get 'DEFAULT CATCH!'

I suppose I'll next try making the small HFS partition, but I don't
understand how that is supposed to work.

If root is not on the filesystem that holds ofwboot.xcf and netbsd, how
does the kernel know where root is? It seems like the line in my copy of
GENERIC would do it, but... apparently not.