Subject: Re: UFS root, how? was Re: 2.0 rc1 default catch
To: Kendall Shaw <queshaw@pacbell.net>
From: d.zanon@infinito.it <d.zanon@infinito.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/03/2004 17:05:19
On Sunday 03 October 2004 08:51, you wrote:
Hi!

> But, I don't understand how to boot now.
>
> I have ofwboot.xcf on an HFS partition on one drive and root on a UFS
> parition on another drive. This doesn't work:
>
> boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf ultra1:3,\netbsd
>
> maybe because openfirmware can't read from a UFS partition?

I think the boot command is...

boot [open-firmware-syntax-path] [bsd-syntax-path]

so I think ultra1:3,\netbsd is wrong...
I used to have this problem, too, because I used to do the same error.
Now on my powerbook I use

boot hd:3,\ofwboot.xcf hd:4/netbsd

so... i imagine you can use something like  ultra1:3/netbsd

I'm not sure, because I couldn't try a boot operation with more than a
disk, but I hope this helps you.

> I tried copying nebsd to the HFS partition then I get 'DEFAULT CATCH!'.
>
> How does the kernel know where root is? Does it expect it to be where
> 'netbsd' is? If so, how do people manage to have a UFS format root?

On my powerbook root (UFS in a APPLE_UFS type partition) is on wd0e,
so the kernel prompted me every time for the root device and the
filesystem type.
I had to recompile the kernel with this line in the configuration file:

config          netbsd  root on wd0e type ffs # I think could omit ffs, but...

> Kendall

Davide