Subject: Re: X on 8600 update
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/23/2004 09:17:30
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 09:47:47PM -0400, Michael wrote:

> If you happen to come across a PCI Voodoo3 then try to get it - there
> are free drivers, ROM images and so on to make it work on a Mac,
> including OF ( I use such a thing and could send you all you need to
> make it work ) and it even gives you hardware OpenGL under MacOS (
> although not under OSX ), I don't know if the ATI tools allow you to
> flash a PCish card with a Mac ROM image, but I suspect it won't. An IMS
> TwinTurbo should work too ( I had a TT3D - worked fine as OF console.
> Couldn't test it with my current stuff though and the XFree driver is
> sort of beta and needs vgahw ). You best bet is probably a Mac Rage II
> or a cheap Radeon.

ok, i'd like to open this question up to the whole list.  i'm looking for a
video card that is going to Just Work(tm) unlike the millenium.  if it works
alongside the onboard video, that would be cool too, but i'm thinking that
i'm not going to use the onboard video at all.

it needs to be cheap.  it needs to have stellar 2D performance, since the
majority of what i do is 2D.

what would be my best bet here?

-brian
--
"The cats tend to administer themselves, and contrary to the expected facts,
the house and everything in it was installed for their benefit."   -- Nic Clews