Subject: Re: XFree86, more updates
To: Andreas Drewke <andreas_dr@gmx.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2004 02:25:09
Hello,

> I hope that your solution to this annoying problem will make it in the
> tree.
> Because it would be so great if XFree86 would just work on
> NetBSD/macppc. I
> am willing to test it of course with my PM7300 and its ATI Rage 128GL.
We'll see :)
I don't think the current kernel patch will make it - too quirky - but
at least it's a beginning.

> Did I understand that right that even leaving XFree86 will work
> properly and
> makes the console usable after that?
Sort of - ofb has no way to reset the console ( at least I didn't find
any ) but XFree's vgahw module restores the videomode - at least when
the Xserver terminates properly. The console is full of garbage because
vgahw saves only 64KB of the frame buffer but it's usable. If the
Xserver crashed or gets killed you're out of luck though. That was the
main reason why I suggested hardware specific ofb replacements - so we
can reliably restore the console...

have fun
Michael