Subject: 2.0_BETA Install: Voodoo magic!
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/06/2004 12:22:39
Hi all,

I successfully installed the 20040331 releng build of NetBSD 2.0_BETA
while booting from a 1.6.1 CD.  Here are the magic steps:

1. Don't set the X sets to install.  They can be manually downloaded and
untarred later.

2. Set networking, distrib location, etc.  I used a straight FTP download.

3. All packages install successfully.  Installboot will run but will NOT
actually create a working setup.  Password will dump core, aborting the
installer.

4. Making devices silently bombs out due to a syntax change in mknod.
Before rebooting, do "cd /dev && tar cBf - . | (cd /mnt/dev; tar xBpf -)"
to move the miniroot's devices so we have things like /dev/console.

5. Also before rebooting: copy /usr/mdec/ofwboot to /boot, then run
"installboot /dev/(yourdisk) /mnt/usr/mdec/bootxx /boot" to install
ofwboot 1.9.  Without it the 1.6.1 CD will install 1.7, which is no good.

6. Now you're set to reboot!

7. Besides other stuff like setting rc_configured, after rebooting you
should run /dev/MAKEDEV all (or some subset of that) to ensure the device
files are all OK.

That should be it!  Note that I did this on an 8600/300 with OFW 1.0.5;
YMMV.  The machine has been up for about an hour now downloading pkgsrc
from CVS; everything looks very stable.

OT: Does anyone know why my 8600/300 gives

cpu0 at mainbus0: Version 0xa (Revision 0x0100), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8000c086<EMCP,ICE,DCE,SGE,BHT,NOPDST>

unlike my /200, which gave

cpu0 at mainbus0: 604ev (Revision 2.3), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8090c084<EMCP,DOZE,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BHT>

Obviously there's no functional need for identification of the /300's CPU
as a 604ev, but I'm curious as to why it doesn't happen.

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu