Subject: Re: Installation subtleties
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/22/2004 19:37:33
>In article <p05210600bc83d07474da@[209.46.8.69]> you write:
>>/etc/postinstall does almost nothing unless /usr/src is present and populated.
>>I went through by hand and removed the obsolete files.
>
>I'm not sure about 1.6.2, but in the -current upgrades I just did,
>postinstall was useful as long as you remembered to run the new one, so:
>
>Unpack etc.tgz somewhere (say /usr/INSTALL), then
># /usr/INSTALL/etc/postinstall -s /usr/INSTALL fix

Yes.  Works much better.  I must have run the old one.

The only thing that "failed" is the check for "MAKEDEV", which it
compares /dev/MAKEDEV to "etc/etc.macppc".

Where does etc/etc.macppc come from?  It does not appear to be created
in the script, and does not seem to be in any of the distros?  Is this
a /usr/src thing?

/dev/MAKEDEV is in base.tgz.

?

-dgl-