Subject: Installing -current on iBook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Anselm R. Garbe <anselmg@t-online.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/17/2004 22:13:38
Hi,

I want install -current on my iBook as standalone OS since I never used
OS X.

My iBook is a late 2002 model (G3 with 700Mhz, Radeon M7500, 20G HDD, OFW
3.x, 2xUSB, 1xFireWire, etc.)

I tried booting 1.6.1 with success, but installing it makes no sense,
since I want NetBSD as single OS and disklabel isn't able to create
Apple partitions maps. I tried pdisk on 1.6.1 install (through fetching
it via ftp) - but I cannot format the created partitions with newfs (I
think I'd also need a special newfs or disklabel?).
So, afterwards I tried 1.6Z which must be capable to format
pdisk-created partitions - the kernel boots, but something with the
memory drive for the root partition image works wrong, so I cannot mount
the md0a disk - and so I'm not able to do anything else than rebooting
it :)

Since 1.6Z is of september 2003 I ask you, if there's a more recent
snapshot available or planned for the next time? Because I've some
freetime this weekend I'd like to test a really current snapshot if
there's one somewhere?

Regards,
    Anselm

--
Anselm R. Garbe  <>  GPG fingerprint: 3977 C88E F5F3 97CA 8AD9
 www.ebrag.de    /\    NetBSD/x86      6DD7 74CE 2A7A 0D73 F361