Subject: Re: Printer tty device
To: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2004 09:58:08
On Jan 14, 2004, at 4:52 AM, Thomas Miller wrote:

> Thanks for writing the very helpful FAQ!

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

> # ps aux | grep tty
> root 180  0.0  0.5  48   652 ?? S     5:00AM 0:00.11
> /usr/libexec/getty std.38400 tty00
>
> mean that tty00 is root's terminal on this machine,
> which, in turn, would mean that tty00 could not be
> either the printer port or the serial port?

Not quite.  The root process always owns getty (which provides a login
prompt).  There is a login prompt running on tty00.  If you look in
/etc/ttys, it shows that tty00 is enabled to have a terminal on it.
So, even if you have nothing connected to the tty00 port, NetBSD is
waiting patiently for someone to log in there.

I'm not sure why this is enabled by default, since if you have a serial
console, it ought to know, based on the "console" line in /etc/ttys
that it should provide the login prompt on the console device.

> Just to be blindingly clear, are you saying that
> the printer port on my 7300/200 running 1.6 is
> /dev/tty01 ?

I'm not sure, I've never really used serial ports on NetBSD/macppc.
AFAICT, your printer port is either /dev/tty00 or /dev/tty01, and tty00
is running getty by default at 38400 8N1.

Have fun,
   -- MW