Subject: Re: Official way to compile STABLE kernel with gcc 3 ?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/29/2003 20:49:46
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:35:49PM -0600, Joe Laffeyolor wrote:
> > Is there any kind of official, supported method for compiling the STABLE
> > kernel with gcc 3 (perhaps with gcc3 from pkgsrc)?
>
> No.
>
> "STABLE" is 1.6.X, which uses gcc 2.95. There were a lot of changes to get
> gcc 3 working with our tree, and they haven't been pulled back into the
> 1.6 branch.
>
> Since we hope to be branching 2.0 in the next few months (we _hope_ in the
> next few weeks, but I'm not sure if we'll meet that), there isn't much
> drive to push the changes back.

FYI: I was able to compile the kernel (not userland) with gcc3 without
only one modification (I reported this with send-pr and it was address a
long time ago).

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?