Subject: Beige G3 only sees 128MB ram.. help?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/2003 00:26:13
So I've read that the Beige G3 will only see 128MB on some 256MB DIMMS.

When I got my G3 I swapped DIMMS with my PC.  The PC (SuperMicro P6DGE) has the
32MB DIMM and the G3 has the 128MB DIMM (Micron, PC100, many chips).

I recently decided to get a pair of 128MB sticks to put one in each computer.

First I went with Buffalo Tech. sticks (PC133).  The PC didn't like them.  They
were such a poor fit, I didn't even try to put them in the Mac.

Today two PC133 (two chips per stick) sticks from Crucial arrived.  The PC didn't
like them.  WTF?  I picked these out explicitly because the Crucial.com's
compatibility thingy said they would work.  Took the old stick out of the Mac and
put it in the PC (so the PC has the 32 and the old 128 stick).

The Mac likes the Crucial RAM just fine.. but it only sees 128MB.

*sigh*

What type of DIMMS *will* work with this beast?

- alex